CrisisPrevention.com: Peconic Landing’s Harbor South Embodies the Vision of a Dementia Capable Society
This September, the Peconic Landing retirement community celebrated their receipt of CPI’s Dementia Care Specialists Distinguished Provider recognition, after opening Harbor South for Memory Support—a person-centered, memory care neighborhood.
Some of Harbor South’s accomplishments as a Distinguished Provider include:
- Substantially increased engagement in activities of daily living by members who moved to Harbor South from other communities—one member’s engagement improved by 1,270%
- Ongoing efforts to eliminate the use of antipsychotics—one member’s mini mental score improved from 20 to 24 with a reduction in Risperdal dosage
- 3 staff members certified as Dementia Capable Care trainers
- Below-average diagnosis rates of UTI’s and weight loss pertaining to early stage dementia, and exceptionally low rates of wandering/elopement
- 100% of respondents to a family member survey agree that “I have seen a positive change in my loved one’s behavior and demeanor” at Harbor South