COVID-19 Outdoor Visitation Protocols | The Shores & The Bluffs
Is visitation permitted?
The Shores and The Bluffs must adhere to all guidance from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the New York State Department of Health. In the July 10, 2020 Health Advisory from New York State, specific criteria is outlined which dictates whether visitation can be permitted at a skilled nursing community.
The following criteria must be met in order to permit outdoor visitation:
- The nursing home is located in a region that has entered Phase 3 of New York Forward.
- There has been no new onset of COVID-19 among residents or team members in the past 28 days.
- The nursing home has completed and submitted the NY Forward Safety Plan.
- The nursing home employees are tested weekly and furloughed when appropriate.
- The nursing home has an arrangement with a laboratory to process COVID-19 tests.
- The nursing home does not have any staffing shortages.
- All team members are screened each shift.
- All residents are screened daily including a symptom check, vital signs and pulse oximetry.
- All nursing home residents have received a single, baseline COVID-19 test, at a minimum and the nursing home has the capacity to re-test residents as needed.
- The nursing home is compliant with all reporting requirements including the daily HERDS, the weekly testing survey, COVID-19 focused surveys and the weekly submission of data to the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN).
- The nursing home is in full compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations, Executive Orders and state guidance related to the COVID-19 emergency.
- The nursing home has protocols for cohorting residents based on their COVID-19 status (positive, negative, suspected).
- The visitation protocols are posted on the company’s website.
- Visitation protocols and guidelines have been distributed to family members via email.
- An interdisciplinary team has been created to review visitation program compliance with the Health Advisory.
Outdoor Visitation Protocols
When all items on the checklist have been completed, the following protocols must be followed regarding visitation:
- The total number of visitors at one time cannot exceed 10% of the current census.
- No more than two visitors, per resident, per visitation appointment.
- Visitation will be scheduled on the following days/times:
- Mondays 2:30 pm – 3:15 pm, 4:00 pm – 4:45 pm (beginning in September)
- Tuesdays 2:30 pm – 3:15 pm, 4:00 pm – 4:45 pm
- Thursdays 10:00 am – 10:45 am, 11:00 am – 11:45 am, 1:00 pm – 1:45 pm, 2:00 pm – 2:45 pm, 3:00 pm – 3:45 pm, 4:00 pm – 4:45 pm
- Window visits are still available on Saturday and Sunday.
- Both outdoor visits and window visits can be scheduled by contacting the recreation department at 631-593-8288, Monday through Friday, at least 24 hours in advance of the visit.
- In order to ensure all residents have the opportunity to visit with their loved ones, repeat visits will not be scheduled until every resident has had the opportunity to have a visitor.
- Visitors must be 18 years or older, or accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older.
- Visitation time will be limited to 45 minutes to allow time for cleaning and disinfection before the next visitor and to ensure the resident’s safety during high temperature weather.
- Visitors must be COVID-19 free (known or suspected).
- Visitors must be screened prior to the visit, including a temperature check and a questionnaire. Upon arrival to the property, a security team member will direct visitors to Brecknock Hall for screening. See screening form entitled Visitor Screening-Brecknock Entry.
- Visitors will be refused access if they exhibit symptoms, have a temperature over 99.5 or do not pass the other screening questions.
- Visitors who have traveled to a restricted state in the past 14 days will not be permitted to visit.
- A team member at Brecknock Hall will provide each visitor with a fact sheet titled Guidelines for Visitors to the Health Center, which outlines the expectations for the visit and protocols that must be followed.
- Upon arrival to the visitation tent, visitors must fill out the Visitation Form with the following information.
- First and last name of the visitor(s)
- Physical address
- Daytime and evening phone number
- Date and time of visit
- Email address if available
- A notation indicating the visitor cleared the screening at Brecknock Hall (do not include documentation of visitor’s temperature)
- All completed Visitation Forms should be given to the Administrator who will maintain an electronic spreadsheet of the information. This spreadsheet must be made available to the Department of Heath upon request.
- Team member(s) will be present to screen the visitors, assist residents, monitor the visitation and clean and disinfect after a visit.
- Visitation will occur outside only, under the visitation tent.
- A maximum of 10 individuals can be under the tent at one time, to allow for proper social distancing.
- Alcohol based sanitizer consisting of at least 60% alcohol will be available in the visitation area.
- Residents and visitors must wear a face masking during the entire visit.
- Visitors should bring their own face covering, but if a visitor does not have a mask, Peconic Landing will supply him/her with one.
- Signage will be posted to remind visitors of face mask utilization and hand hygiene.
- Current COVID-19 suspected residents, or residents in a 14-day quarantine period are not eligible for visits.
- If any visitor fails to adhere to the protocols, he/she/they will be prohibited from visiting.
- If a resident or team member tests positive after visitation has opened, visitation will be immediately suspended until the nursing home has been COVID-19 free for 28 days.
Guidelines for Visitors to the Health Center
We are pleased to welcome you to the Health Center to visit your loved one. Please note that we must all adhere to the guidance provided by the Department of Health (residents, visitors and team members). The below information outlines the responsibilities and expectations for your visit.
- Visitors must pass screening at Brecknock Hall before proceeding to the visitation tent.
- Upon arrival to the visitation tent, all visitors must fill out the Visitation Form.
- Visitors are expected to bring their own face covering, but if a visitor does not have a mask, Peconic Landing will provide one.
- All visitors, residents and team members must wear face coverings for the entire duration of the visit.
- Visitors should frequently utilize the alcohol-based hand sanitizer provided by Peconic Landing under the visitation tent.
- Visitation will occur outside Should a visitor need to use the facilities, portable restrooms are available at the South Parking Lot.
- No more than two visitors, per resident, per appointment.
- Visitors must be 18 or older or accompanied by an adult 18 or over.
- Six foot social distancing must be maintained at all times during the visit.
- Peconic Landing is limited by the Department of Health regarding the number of visitors permitted at one time. As a result, visits are limited to 45 minutes to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to visit with a loved one. This also allows for time for cleaning and disinfection after each visit, and is a safety measure for members on high temperature days.
- Visits will be supervised by a team member to ensure for proper social distancing and mask wearing.
- Consumption of food is not permitted during the visit. However, visitors are welcome to drop off care packages which should be given to a team member upon arrival
- Water bottles will be available; please ask a team member.
- Peconic Landing reserves the right to alter these guidelines or restrict or rescind visitation at any time if resident or team member safety is at risk.
*The visitation policies are pending approval of the NY State DOH.